One Son, Two Daughters, Three Incredible Blessings

In addition to having the privilege of being mom to my teenage son, L, I am in the process of adopting two beautiful girls from Pyatigorsk, Russia. This is our adoption story...

Friday, August 25, 2006

Tuesday, August 22

Court - Day 1: I was so nervous. I was prepared for most of the questions, but not all of them. The judge asked more questions than I expected, and they were very detailed. I really liked my attorney and my interpreter was very professional! It's the hardest day, so I was glad when it was over! We went shopping later that PM for balls and other items for the orphanage. That was an experience!

Court - Day 2: I walked in the front door of the courthouse and saw K sitting on a bench. As soon as she saw me, she ran down the hall to hug me. And she didn't let go... The social worker, orphanage director, and Minister of Health testified. They all went into many details about the gtirls and I learned more about them. Of course, I cried when I heard things they have said since April. K has really expressed herself. Since April, her grades have improved and she said she felt honored that I would choose them to be my daughters. She also explained how attached she and A had gotten to their brother, L. The orphanage director said K & A asked every day when I was coming back and eventually they became afraid that I would not return. The wait has been horrible for all of us! The judge approved my petition and I am the proud mother of two beautiful girls. I only wish L could have been there to hear everything that was siad in court about him! I am so blessed to be the mother of three special children.

I left the courtroom to find K. When I saw her in the hall, she looked so scared. She had no idea what was going on. This was the first time I had seen this expression. I walked up to her and said, "Tee moy dochka" and she smiled and hugged me tightly. We walked outside and the director told her they had to go back to the orphanage. She protested a little - she does not understand the process. While I do understand it, I don't agree with it. There is a 10-day waiting period, whihc is an appeal period. During the 10 days, I will visit the girls as much as I can. K said "Good Bye" in perfect English and kissed me. She walked to the corner, turned to wave, and then was gone. My heart melted.

I went back to the hotel to check out to go back to Pyatigorsk and learned that J was almost arrested for shoplifting in the grocery store. The officer did not realize she was trying to get money from her money belt (which she now refuses to wear); he thought she was stealing food! I still laugh about that! We drove 90 miles an hour to Pyatigorsk in 100 degree weather with no A/C! Thank goodness I had a sleeveless shirt and water! We passed a military convoy that contained at least 50-75 trucks! After driving about 2 hours, we met Fima at the hotel and he ordered some delicious pizza. We then settled in for a 10-night stay.

1 Comments:

Blogger Melissa said...

You will be coming home soon! Yay!

9:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home