One Son, Two Daughters, Three Incredible Blessings

In addition to having the privilege of being mom to my teenage son, L, I am in the process of adopting two beautiful girls from Pyatigorsk, Russia. This is our adoption story...

Friday, August 25, 2006

Wednesday, August 23

We left at 10:30 AM to go to the orphanage. I wonder what the girls think about this process. A was in the baby room (they just recently added 5 or 6 babies - before A was one of the youngest children). She ran to me and hugged me so tightly and we went to find K. Her friend saw us drive up and had already gone to get her. I guess I missed her when I was greeting A. A and I had gone upstairs to the older children's room and I saw for the first time where K sleeps. The beds are not even 2 1/2 feet wide and there were so many in one room! K wasn't with the other girls so we headed back down the stairs. A is so funny when she has a mission - she is so focused and purposeful! We heard K coming - she was running so fast to find me that she just fell into my arms! She thought I was there to take them home. Fima had to explain to them that they couldn't leave just yet. I am so sad!

We went outside to play and had a great time! K loves the digital camera, I may have a photographer in the making. A is very athletic and lvoes sports. We also blew bubbles, which they love. K learned how to write her name in English and I am realizing more and more how smart and determined she is. they experienced the 3D Viewmaster for the first time, which was so funny. A is hilarious! We also played a fishing game that has magnetic fish - they loved that! They ate Teddy Grahams for the first time.

It was time to leave and I hated that! They kissed me a million times and I realized it's as hard on them as it is on me. As they walked back to the orphanage, they turned around at least 3 times to wave "goodbye". These 10 days will be hard, but we've come a long way. This process will be over soon and they will be home. On the 45 minute drive back through their village, through M. Vody, their birthplace, to Pyatigorsk, I realized for the first time that my daughters have grown up in a village. There are goats and cows tied to trees, fields of grain and sunflowers, and people sitting in front of their houses selling produce they've grown. The houses are 1-2 rooms with outhouses and garden plots. I am overwhelmed by how much their world, their lives, everything they've known is about to change. When I'm at the orphanage, I can't help but look into the eyes of children who will never be adopted. And it breaks my heart. There are 16 year old girls who will never know the love of a mother. There are toddlers beating their heads on furniture because there is no one to tell them to stop or to just hold them instead. There are babies with no diapers on and no educational toys to spark their development, so they too will be neglected and never reach their potential. There are 10 children in this village waiting to be placed, but there is no room at our orphanage, so they stay in neglectful families where they don't belong. Our orphanage is already overcrowded and, unfortunately, the adoption process will become harder and more expensive. These children long for love and affection and it breaks my heart that most will NEVER get it.

We traveled to the Intourist for a good Russian meal. WOW! We had green Borscht, cucumber and tomato salad, and mashed potatoes with Chicken Kiev for me and Pork Chops for J. It was SO good! Fima has five families here this week, so I will not be able to see K & A on Thursday.

KC - I miss you so much and wish you were here - you made trip 1 so much better!

L - Congrats on Senior Class Officer! Good luck at your game on Friday night. I miss you and love you very much - E says you can ask for the room number in English (who knew!)

Everyone - Thanks for your comments - I enjoy hearing from you all so much!

10 Comments:

Blogger Deb said...

I love hearing how much the girls enjoy being with you.
It's very sad to think of those left behind. I can't imagine what it will be like for us. I know we'll want to just bring them all home.
Hope the 10 days go by very fast for the 3 of you.

7:34 AM  
Blogger 6blessings said...

I miss you too Tina. I wish I could be there to see the girls and you together. I'm so glad that you got to stay closer. Those days where you don't see the kids are the worst. However, they will soon all be over and the girls will be yours forever.

I cried again today reading your post. That must have been so intimidating for K. She is a strong girl and I'm so glad she understood that she was your daughter. The ones left behind leave a forever hole in your heart. We look daily at pics of those left behind and our heart aches for them. I wish there was a way to remedy the orphan problem completely.

I heard this story once. It was about a seashore where a bunch of starfish had washed up on shore. A little boy was going along and throwing them back out into the ocean. A man came along and told him his task was fruitless. There was no way he could throw them all back in. He told him no matter how long he worked, he wouldn't make a difference. The little boy thought and then threw another starfish back in the ocean. He looked up and said, "I made a difference to that one."

Cherish your starfish.

J, I'm so glad you got to go with Tina! It made me feel so good to know you would be there with her. Sorry about the incident. That must have been awful.

L, good luck at the football game! I saw high school football on the news last night and thought of you.

9:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tina, we are soooo very excited for you and the girls. Can't wait for you all to get home. Logan is doing well. I am enjoying giving him your secret presents.Give the girls a hug.
We all miss you and can't wait for your return.

Linda

9:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tina:

Congrats! You are in our thoughts and prayers at Evergreen!

Todd

12:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tina,
I made the mistake of reading this at school......I need Kleenex! I am so excited that your news is good and your girls are well. I can't wait to meet them! I am sure they know how lucky they are to have a "Great" mom like you, and a "Great" brother like Logan!!! Can't wait until you and your girls are back in the states.
Love you,
Traci

1:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just came across your site tonight. I too am a Christian single feeling called to adopt. I am just at the start of the process.
I wish you a wonderful time getting your daughters, and a safe journey home. I will be praying for you.
Thanks for your super site, inspirational and so pleased to know that there are others like me. I would love to email once you get back.
Kind regards,
Kate

5:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Tina,
I seriously think that you could make a lot of money by publishing a book about your experiences. "To Russia With Love" Or has that already been used? ha You have a great start with this blog. I can't wait to read what you're doing everyday, and you write so well. I hope I can meet the girls soon. Let us know when your flight gets in to Atlanta. My thoughts and prayers are with you. Love, Linda S

10:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

T- Everyone in the office has been burning up the blog site each day waiting for an update! Most of us have cried all day today after reading your posting. We are anxiously awaiting each update with prayers, tears, and celebrations. How proud you must be of your girls - - how brave K & A are to endure the waiting period - -and how happy you will all be to get back home to Big Brother L !!

J- The gang in the office cannot wait to hear you tell the story of the unfortunate events in the grocery - - you weren't trying to lift a can of that diet coke w/ "gas" were you??? (ha! ha!)

Take care of yourselves and be safe- Kelly wants to know when her new friends will be home.
Much Love - - DSA

10:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your posts bring tears to my eyes and haunting pictures to my mind. I don't think that any of us will be the same after walking through this process with you, L, K and A.

L. had a great game Friday. I cheered for him like I knew you would. I also prayed for his safety as I also knew you would!

Much love and many prayers to you and your girls!
Berta

10:36 PM  
Blogger Suz said...

Tina, praying for you as day 4 of the wait winds to a close. You're almost half-way there!

It's so great to see your workplace being so supportive of you on this blog - that is a huge blessing!

Is someone taping BB for you? We're addicts of that show too :o)

Keep up the wonderful updates, I love reading them and seeing a family come together.

12:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home